90 Second EmotionsFeb 14, 2022
Emotions only last 90-seconds.
"When a person has a reaction to something to their environment, there's a 90-second chemical process that happens in the body; after that, any remaining emotional response is just the person choosing to stay in that emotional loop." ~ Jill Bolte Taylor
When I read this quote, there was a spark of curiosity that ran through my mind and body.
I even went down the rabbit hole trying to find evidence against it.
I'll use anger as an example.
You get that email, see something on social media, or read a comment that upsets you.
- Anger is your primary emotion based on what you read.
- You have a thought that sets off the emotion of anger as your primary emotion.
- A wave of chemicals moves through your body.
- This takes less than 90 seconds.
- Then it's gone.
If anger lasts more than 90 seconds, it's because you're replaying that story in your mind.
Every time you replay the story, you re-trigger the response.
When you replay the story, you not only keep your mind in a negative loop, but your body experiences the pain over and over again.
Are you ready to get yourself out of the 90-second emotion loop?
Get out your journal and ask yourself these questions when anger or any other emotion stays for longer than 90 seconds:
- What's the story you're replaying?
- What do you gain by replaying the story?
- How would your life be different if you let go of the story?
The truth is, you can get out of the negative emotion loop. By opening yourself up to the possibility, you'll connect to yourself on a higher level.